Now in its twenty-first year year, fiddlekids is a unique, fun-filled summer day camp devoted to traditional fiddle music. We welcome young violin fiddlers, ages 7 to 15, with at least one year of playing experience. No previous fiddling is required. Camp is divided into skill-based groups of roughly 15 fiddlers. Each student attends classes with three of the camp’s fiddle instructors and will learn a wide range of traditional fiddling styles— past styles include bluegrass, American old-time, Appalachian, Irish, Scottish, Cajun, Balkan, Scandinavian, jazz, swing, and blues—through tunes, songs, dance. Boasting a superb teaching staff and a wonderfully supportive atmosphere, fiddlekids has introduced hundreds of youngsters to the lively and delightful fiddle repertoire. We’ve inspired many of our alumni to enjoy a life-long relationship with their instrument, traditional fiddle music, and folk music culture.
**Registration opens Tuesday, January 16**
Week 1: June 25 – 29, 9am – 3pm
- Camp Location: Berkwood Hedge School, 1809 Bancroft Way, Berkeley
- Camp Concert: Sat. June 30 @ Freight & Salvage
- More details about fiddlekids 2018 coming soon!
- Additional inquiries: contact email@example.com
- $570 per week; Early Bird Discount: $550 per week if you pay in full by 3/30/18.
- Sibling Discount: Save $50 for second child
- Scholarships available: contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details and scholarship form.
Typical day at fiddlekids summer camp
- 9:00–10:00am: Morning fiddle class I
- 10:00–10:15am: Recess
- 10:15–11:15am: Morning fiddle class II
- 11:15am–12:15pm: Dance or Art
- 12:15 – 12:45pm: Lunch and recess
- 12:45 – 1:45pm: Dance or Art
- 1:45 – 2:00pm: Recess, snacks
- 2:00–3:00pm: Afternoon fiddle class III
Free fiddlekids concert
Camp culminates with the fiddlekids recital, an exciting public performance on the Freight & Salvage stage. This lovely show highlights the kids’ accomplishments across a wide range of fiddling styles. By the end of camp most kids have memorized three to six tunes. The performance also showcases dances learned from our dance instructor. We’ll also display the kid’s beautiful artwork in the lobby.
When camp starts we’ll email a link that provides access to the collection of instructor-made recordings for this year’s camp. Please encourage your young fiddlers to listen daily, at home and/or during the commute to camp. They’ll learn their fiddle tunes faster and more easily with repeated listening. A brief nightly review will yield a much deeper grasp of the material, and a head start for the next day. Many parents say, “This is the first time I’ve seen my kid come home after any class and want to practice!” After camp each fiddlekids family receives music notation for all fiddle tunes taught, plus some tunes that were recorded but untaught, usually about 24 tunes in all. The notation allows the kids to review the music, to understand it from another perspective, and to work on favorite tunes that the other kids learned.
Meet Our Staff
fiddlekids® is a trademark of Freight & Salvage.
fiddlekids is made possible through the generous support of the Bill Graham Supporting Foundation.